Using baking as an activity for Valentine’s day is an excellent idea. We baked some homemade Nutella Puff Pastry Hearts with our children that you also have to try with your little ones.
These Valentine’s hearts are delicious, they are also fun for kids to make and most importantly it’s an easy recipe.
Involving kids in the kitchen has many benefits, including developing important life skills such as following instructions, measuring ingredients, and kitchen safety. It can also foster creativity, increase their appetite and interest in trying new foods and help them learn to take pride in their accomplishments.
Baking with kids is so much fun and it also helps children develop fine motor skills. It’s a great bonding activity that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
They will enjoy these delicious Valentine’s pastry hearts better then than store-bought cookies since you’ve made them together.
So, grab your aprons, preheat the oven, and get ready for some puff pastry heart Valentine’s Day baking fun with your kids. With a little bit of pastry, and love, you’ll create memories that will last a lifetime!
Nutella Puff Pastry Hearts for Valentine’s Day
Express your love with a delicious pastry filled with Nutella.
It’s hard to go wrong when Nutella is involved – and it looks so pretty too!
It’s also an excellent way to get your kids involved in the kitchen because it’s so easy to make.
Let’s see this pastry heart recipe.
What will You Need for Heart Shaped Pastry?
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Nutella Heart Puff Pastries for Valentine’s Day
1. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees in fan-forced mode.
2. Roll out the ready-rolled puff pastry on a clean surface and use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes from the pastry.
3. Place half of the cut-out pastry hearts on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
4. Using a spoon, spread a generous amount of Nutella on each pastry heart, leaving a small border around the edges, and cover each of them with the other half of the cut-out pastry.
5. Using a fork press down the edges of the hearts by making small indentations on the border of each pastry heart. This will seal the pastry together also giving it a decorative look.
6. We experimented with adding a few drops of red food coloring to the egg wash to create a pinkish color, but it didn’t retain the color after baking. However, it did give the pastries a nice shiny layer.
The kids had fun brushing the pastries with the colored egg wash.
7. Bake the Nutella puff cookies in the oven at 220 °C for about 15 minutes till puffed up and get golden brown.
Making heart shaped puff pastry is an easy and fun activity that kids can enjoy on Valentine’s Day. The simple recipe and step-by-step instructions allow even the youngest chefs to create a delicious and beautiful treat that is perfect for sharing with loved ones.
The flaky, buttery puff pastry combined with the rich, chocolate-hazelnut flavor of Nutella creates a heavenly taste sensation that everyone will love. Making these puff pastry cookies is an excellent opportunity for children to develop their cooking and baking skills, as well as their creativity in the kitchen.
Give it a try, enjoy and let us know how it went!